Imagine a world where a #GivingTuesday video went viral instead of the ubiquitous BlackFriday Walmart brawl over a big screen TV we see every year.
Who doesn’t love this idea?!
Launched seven years ago in 2012, GivingTuesday uses technology and social media to encourage people around the globe to give to nonprofits throughout the holiday season. According to the official GivingTuesday website, the goal is to “create a massive wave of generosity that lasts well beyond that day, and touches every person on the planet.”
Falling on the calendar right after the two big consumer-friendly shopping events Black Friday, Cyber Monday, GivingTuesday is on December 3, the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving so mark your calendars.
While the name implies it’s one day, your #GivingTuesday campaign can extend through the entire season. And, it’s not just about fundraising. Your #GivingTuesday campaign can be all about bringing people together, getting people to volunteer, or simply driving awareness to your cause.
Here are 5 simple tips to prepare for #GivingTuesday:
- Your Website – Add a page to your website that talks about your #GivingTuesday campaign. That way, when you use other channels like email or social media to promote your campaign, you can steer people back to your website for more information.
- Donations – Make sure your donation platform is ready to accept contributions. This may seem like a no brainer but essentials like this get overlooked all the time. Important note! The GivingTuesday website does not handle donations.
- Email – Use email to get the word out. Send your community members, donors, family, and friends an email and let them know that #GivingTuesday is coming. Tell them what your organization has been up to and the impact you’ve made, and what you’re planning on doing in the coming year. Let them know how they can get involved. Make sure the calls-to-action in your email isclear and strong linking back to your website or landing page.
- Social Media – Use social media to spread the word about #GivingTuesday. If time permits, shoot a simple video letting your followers what their contribution will do for your organization. Be sure and use the #GivingTuesday hashtag in your promotions.
- Leverage GivingTuesday.org – Add your organization to the official GivingTuesday website list.
Visit the GivingTuesday website to download a Complete Toolkit for more information.